Sunday, February 19, 2017

Set the Table 2017 | Week 7



Birds.

Picky eaters.

One week at a time.  

Welcome back + Happy Sunday Fun Day!
  • Each Sunday #SettheTable2017 begins with the upcoming week's game plan followed by a picture recap of last week's chaos. Warning: Selfie videos and picture shenanigans keep me cooking and laughing... C'est la vie, I'm lighting it up.
  • #CatchmyGrit on my Instagram stories throughout the week to capture the fun, the food and the family table reactions (good and bad).
  • New to this series? Here's the STORY behind my #SettheTable2017 food adventures with Pure Barre Kildeer.
Up this Week:
*Note: The first underlined/linked recipe name corresponds to the Jamie Oliver Ultimate Recipes App to help me stay organized (his grocery list feature is rad); However, IF I was unable to find Jamie's app recipe online (which keeps the collections exclusive) I have linked to a similar recipe.

(FYI I did not get to my chicken recipes last week... So I'm trying again.)

  • Miso roast Chicken with Asian Greens (or this Chicken in Milk - It's ridiculously good.)
  • Poached Chicken with Vege Broth (Chicken noodle soup) - I'm using the leftover chicken and carcass to make it.

*Here is a handy conversion link for the online euro measurements (the app uses USA measurements).
*If possible, buy antibiotic free meat (Here's why I try to know where my meat is coming from).
*Use the EWG "Clean Fifteen + Dirty Dozen produce guidelines to save money + reduce the pesticides and herbicides on your plate. 
*Avoid artificial colors and preservatives - Check your labels, grocery stores offer a variety of clean brands to help protect your family's microbiome --> More Guts More Glory I SAY!


Wrap it up with last week's family table action:




The Vietnamese Salad "slaw" was so good (but too spicy for the kids). My parents liked it and they brought over some stuffed peppers! I loved having slaw leftovers all week. Next time, I will use some chili sauce with less kick. I subbed in pistachio nuts (instead of peanuts), added avocado chunks and did not make the fried shallots (just didn't feel like it).


When I have made "hot pockets" before, I always buy the refrigerated croissant rolls. This was the first time I have ever made the dough from scratch. And it reminded me of the pastry doughs my girlfriend Terri taught me how to make when we have cooked together!

Homemade dough still does not = easy in my mind. I just don't practice enough... that's changing.

Trust me, this dough was really simple to make and I'm glad I did it... cause now I'm thinking about all the other stuffings I can put inside!! Watch Jim Gaffigan's Hot Pocket skit to get in the mood to make your own.

Here's Jamie's simple dough (with the 1/4 tsp Tumeric powder taken out) and what I did to make my hot pockets.

3 Tbsp organic pastured butter (room temperature)
1 cup sprouted organic flour (we gave regular flour a go! Eeeek!)
pinch of salt
1.5 Tbsp water
(egg wash = 1 egg + 2 Tbsp milk)

Using your fingertips, gently rub the butter and flour and salt together until it resembles fine bread crumbs. This is SO fun for kids to do with you! Stir in the water to the flour until a soft dough is formed. Wrap the dough ball in plastic and stick in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up (I only did it for 15 minutes and it was fine). Divide into four equal pieces and roll out into circles. Place a few spoonfuls of leftover taco meat in the centers. Fold and seal them with a fork, brush them with egg wash and cook at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. I also melted a little cheese on top.


Prairie Wind Family Farms Watermelon radish wedges = a little color! Can't wait for my CSA to start up again!!!! Tommy ate all of his with ranch. Mac tried to tell me he couldn't eat his because of his braces. Didn't work, he ate them. Abbie was at basketball. And I just realized that Chris was out of town for every dinner I made. Crazy week!


This was our hodge podge leftover night. Abbie really hates leftovers. For whatever reason, she did not like much of what I made. Even ice cream bribery couldn't get her to finish her plate that night.

Speaking of ice... The Diamond is thawing FAST with this insanely, amazing weather. 

I'm dreaming about Summer barbecues and bikinis.


To the Mullies we go...
xoxoL




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think....